“Water is one of the most essential components of the human body. Water regulates the body’s temperature, cushions and protects vital organs, and aids the digestive system. Water not only composes 75 percent of all muscle tissue and about 10 percent of fatty tissue, it also acts within each cell to transport nutrients and dispel waste. And, because water composes more than half of the human body, it is impossible to sustain life for more than a week without it.”
– Fit Facts: Healthy Hydration, © 2008 American Council on Exercise
Learn more by visiting these sites:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: Drinking Water and Health
- National Institutes of Health: Drinking Water
- MayoClinic.com Water: How Much Should You Drink Everyday?
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: Community Water Fluoridation
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: Lead in Water Q & A